At this age children are interested in knowing about love and
the different kinds of families, they will be curious about puberty
and sexual feelings and changing body image. They will want more
details about conception, how babies develop and are born and why
families are important for having babies. They will be interested
in knowing about how people can get diseases including HIV, from
sex and how they can be prevented. They will also want to know who
they can talk to if they want help or advice and information about
puberty and sex.
Questions to help you understand what children want to learn
about are listed in themes below.
- What are the important relationships in my life now?
- What is love? How do we show love to one another?
- Can people of the same sex love one another? Is this
- What are the different kinds of families and partnerships?
- What do the words 'lesbian' and 'gay' mean?
- Why does calling someone 'gay' count as bullying?
- What should I do if someone is being bullied or abused?
- Are boys and girls expected to behave differently in
- Can some relationships be harmful?
- Why are families important for having babies and bringing them
- What is puberty?
- Does everyone go through it? At what age?
- What body changes do boys and girls go through at
- Why are some girls 'tomboys' and some boys a bit 'girly'?
- Is my body normal? What is a 'normal' body?
- How will my body change as I get older?
Feelings and attitudes
- What kinds of feelings come with puberty?
- What are sexual feelings?
- What are wet dreams?
- What is masturbation? Is it normal?
- How can I cope with these different feelings and
- How can I say 'no' to someone without hurting
- What should I do if my family or friends don't see
things the way I do?
- What do families from other cultures and religions
think about growing up?
- Can I believe everything I see on the TV about
perfect bodies/ relationship/girls and boys.…to be true?
Lifecycles/ human reproduction
- What is sex?
- What is sexual intercourse?
- How many sperm does a man produce?
- How many eggs does a woman have?
- How do sperm reach the egg to make a baby?
- Does conception always occur or can it be
- How do families with same-sex parents have babies?
- How does the baby develop?
- How is the baby born?
- What does a new baby need to keep it happy and
Keeping safe & looking after
- How can I look after my body now I am going
- How can girls manage periods (menstruation)?
- How can people get diseases from sex and can they
- What is HIV, how do you get it and how can you
protect yourself from it?
People who help me/getting help and
- Who can I talk to if I want help or advice?
- Where can I find information about puberty and
- How can I find reliable information about these
things safely on the internet?
questions for all age groups